Plans for SXSW Interactive/Film/Music 2012
February 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm
February 28, 2012 at 5:45 pm
OK dorkwads – I’m that crap friend who went away and now came back when he needs something. Seriously, though, you guys will help me.
I’ve managed to make arrangements to go to SXSW Music this year. I’ve never gone before and would love to get any ideas from people about what events to attend or what to do while I am there. I am partially on a job hunt as well, I’ll be trying to network with music industry people to see if I can find something that aligns with my interests, or, at least, something that does not make me contemplate killing myself every day.
Let me know your thoughts or go suck a dick (that’s gay for “Have a nice day!”).
February 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm
is there a place where I can see who’s all performing?
February 28, 2012 at 9:08 pm
I’ll be there. That’s all I know.
February 29, 2012 at 2:12 am
Jonathan – get me a new job. Thank you.
February 29, 2012 at 5:16 am
Obviously depending on your test in music some of these might not be for you. But if I was going I’d try to check out Abandoned Pools, Adam WarRock, Andrew WK, B.O.B., Blackalicious, Braid, Doug Benson, Early November, fun. Great Lake Swimmers, Ingrid Michaelson, MC Frontalot, MC Lars, Norah Jones, Say Anything, Schyuler Fisk, Random (Aka Mega-Ran) and Counting Crows.
February 29, 2012 at 5:31 am
You do realize that this is 2012, not 1994, right? Seriously, Counting Crows?
February 29, 2012 at 8:07 am
Will I think you’d enjoy the Great Lake Swimmers, I haven’t heard of a lot of bands on that list!
February 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm
@CalvinSlug Never saw them live figure this would be a chance to see them play all the songs I like by them in one set and then never have to see them again
February 29, 2012 at 12:48 pm
TBH I knew if St. Mort replied I wouldn’t like any of the bands he mentioned. I’ve seen his music lists before . . . I’m waiting for someone like Health to reply.
February 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm
What are your actual dates, Calvin Slug? I’m only in Austin for the film portion of the festival.
February 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm
I arrive mid-day on March 10 and am staying until March 19.
February 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm
Do you have a film or interactive badge? We can hang Saturday or Sunday!
February 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm
Just Music. I’m not mega-rich. Yet.
March 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm
Just saw June Divided open for Punchline. If you’re into female fronted rock groups like Letter to Cleo or Paramore they come highly recommended.
March 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm
I am so pumped. One more day of work and then I’m off to Austin!!!
March 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Hey folks – just an update – I’m here in Austin and it has just been great. I’ve been hanging out with one of my best friends who I rarely get to see, snuck in to a SXSW Interactive party last night for free beers, got to run along the riverfront – it’s all been great fun and everyone in Austin has been really nice.
I’m still hoping to meet up with fearless leader soon – it’s been difficult since I don’t control my own mobility. I can officially register tomorrow so I’ll at least be able to invade the convention center and we’ll have some common ground.
March 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm
I have numerous fears.
Of the movies I’ve seen, Cabin in the Woods, The Imposter and The Raid have been the ones that have made me yell “holy shit!” out loud the most. Those movies are fantastic!
March 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Quick update between sessions:
1. Lots of cute straight boys here. Lots of unattractive gay men here.
2. Saw Dinosaur Feathers: No good.
3. Saw Quiet Company: Really Good!
4. Saw Yellow Ostrich: That guy’s voice can really only carry one song.
5. Saw Caveman: Completely incredible and unexpected performance. I was bowled over, as was the crowd that formed in the street as their performance went on. Power flu stuff.
6. Saw La Poliça: She should have been good but the sound was never set up properly (they were shuffling through the acts really quickly) and some dude in the highly packed club had either dropped acid or taken some ecstasy. He was bouncing around like some idiot gnome on holiday, shirtless, and he SMELLED REALLY BAD. Banged into a few people. I decided to just leave early, because the band just seemed to draw him as their kind of crowd.
7. Out of desperation accepted a ride home from some randoms. They of course demanded $25.00.
8. Met film director Jonathan London, street passed with him. Did not give him a blow job.
March 22, 2012 at 7:25 am
Sorry I couldn’t provide more updates. Things got crazy and now I’m sick with either flu or a bad cold. Either way, the whole SXSW experience was extraordinary and I will have to do it again. Highly recommended.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.